Positive Memory Foam Mattress Reviews: Comfortable, Supportive, Holds Shape
Based on 270 customer reviews, memory foam mattresses
received an average of 4.3 out of 5 stars. Of those 270 customers who voluntarily chose to rate their purchase, 87% wrote a positive review. The top 3 positive features mentioned were comfort, support, and shape retention. Some customers also described receiving a better night's sleep with decreased motion disturbances from a sleep partner.
- Comfortable: 69% of respondents
- Good Support: 66% of respondents
- Holds Shape: 57% of respondents
- Soft Feel: 46% of respondents
To provide a clearer picture, here are a few actual customer reviews:
"Great mattress for the money, very easy to get used to. Very comfortable! I have been sleeping on it for three days and love it. It did have a slight odor the first day (it came compressed), but it was ready to use in 12 hours."
- Paul from Boston, MA, Dormia Sonata memory foam mattress owner
"I love this mattress. It gives you the sensation that you are floating on a cloud, yet it somehow also perfectly supports your spine. One of my main concerns with going to an all memory foam mattress was waking up too hot, because I had this problem on my previous pillow top. So far I have had 0 issues. I often fall asleep at night and wake up eight hours later in the exact same position. I give it my highest recommendation!"
- Matt from Los Angeles, CA, Sealy Stillness memory foam mattress owner
"Bought this model because it was soft, yet it felt very supportive. After 4 weeks I am getting the best sleep I have gotten in years. Highly recommend."
- Joan from Champaign, IL, Serta iComfort memory foam mattress owner
Negative Memory Foam Mattress Reviews: Develops Cavity, Too Hard, Bad Odor
Out of the 270 customers who reviewed a memory foam mattress purchase, only 35 were unhappy. The majority of respondents felt their new memory foam mattress was too hard. Only a minority said it was too soft. The uncharacteristic indentation was also reported from some customers, along with reports of the mattress producing an odor.
The top complaints listed by the 35 dissatisfied customers were:
- Develops Cavity: 49% of respondents
- Too Hard: 46% of respondents
- Bad Odor: 34% of respondents
- Too Soft: 14% of respondents
Here are some of the negative reviews:
"For the price of the bed, I thought that it was going to be the best investment that I had ever made. However, I was wrong. This bed is so uncomfortable. I thought that it was going to be a lot more comfortable than it is. My husband and I both wake up in the morning with our backs hurting. We have restless nights because we can not get comfortable. If I could give this bed back, I definitley would. I have had the bed for 3 months now and I have rotated it many times and still, nothing works."
- Yvonne from Long Beach, Serta iComfort memory foam mattress owner
"I have really bad back and neck pain. I purchased this bed to help with my pain. However, this bed is too hard. It is bearable when I sleep on my back, but when I sleep on my side, my arm and leg fall asleep. This is an okay bed, but for me, it is too hard"
- Kevin from Utah, Simmons Illumination memory foam mattress owner
"I bought this to replace another memory foam mattress. This mattress is much firmer than my last. I am still getting used to it."
- NC Mom from North Carolina, Eco Rest memory foam mattress owner
Fortunately, most comfort issues are quickly resolved. Here is our perspective on the most common complaints.
- Develops Cavity: All brand new memory foam mattresses conform to your body. Typically, the conformity enhances the sleeping experience. But just like a new pair of shoes, they will feel firm at first, but then mold to your shape after break-in period. However, if the mattress indentation becomes larger than normal, it could signal a manufacturing defect. In that case, the manufacturer will exchange the memory foam mattress with a brand new one.
- Too Hard: Sometimes, folks don't know what they want. What one person considers firm, another considers soft. This can result in a misunderstanding of one's comfort preference. Thankfully, our 10-point mattress Comfort Scale® and other helpful mattress selection resources help to keep our return rate 4 times lower than other major mattress retailers. To ensure even greater customer satisfaction, we also provide a Comfort Guarantee. If our customer needs to exchange his or her mattress, we'll accept an exchange up to 100 days after delivery. If you buy a memory foam mattress from us and you're displeased with the comfort level - maybe it's too hard or too soft, we'll replace it (Find out more about our guarantees and policies).
- Too Soft: See above
- Bad Odor: The majority of our memory foam mattresses go straight from an assembly line into a sealed bag, allowing for little or no air flow. A new memory foam mattress should quickly air out, allowing any odor to dissipate. If an odor sticks around for more than a few days or weeks, the mattress could be defective and would warrant a replacement mattress. This issue is common among all mattress brands since these odors come from the mattress manufacturing process.
Memory Foam Mattress Collections
We offer memory foam mattresses from a number of brands, including Simmons Beautyrest, Sealy, EcoSleep, Serta, and Dormia. Each of those brands has many mattress lines and collections to choose from. Here are the top rated memory foam mattress manufacturers.
Sealy Comfort Series Memory Foam Mattresses
A very popular and highly rated line of memory foam mattresses, the Sealy Comfort Series has the reputation of a 130-year-old mattress manufacturer behind it. The Comfort Series price is, on average, lower than other premium brands.Shop our Sealy Comfort Series Memory Foam Mattresses
Serta iComfort Memory Foam Mattresses
This line of memory foam mattresses is rather unique, in that it features an additional ingredient to the memory foam mattress recipe: gel. Gel memory foam provides better support to the neck and spine, and it brings added durability to the mattress, helping to extend the comfort life.Shop Our Serta iComfort Memory Foam Mattresses
Simmons Beautyrest Comforpedic Memory Foam Mattresses
Simmons Beautyrest is another company whose reputation precedes it. ComforPedic from Beautyrest features AirCool Memory Foam, which conforms to the body to provide contouring pressure relief. Beneath the memory foam lies the Independent Support cushions, which react to even the slightest changes in movement.Shop Our Simmons Comforpedic Memory Foam Mattresses
EcoSleep Memory Foam Mattresses
EcoSleep memory foam mattresses are the more natural memory foam mattress option. Although EcoSleep may not be a recognizable brand name, they produce high quality products. These memory foam mattresses are constructed with odor-free castor oil and recycled foam polymers. EcoSleep utilizes an open cell structure that allows for more air flow, helping to keep the mattress cooler.Shop Our EcoSleep Memory Foam Mattresses
Looking for the top rated memory foam mattresses
? You can learn more about specific memory foam mattresses by browsing our site and clicking on a product to read actual customer reviews and testimonials. We've compiled the top rated memory foam mattresses below:
Don't see what you're looking for? View All Memory Foam Mattresses