Beautyrest mattresses received 4.2 out of 5 stars from 687 surveyed purchasers between January 2008 and February 2012 (this is a really good score.) Of those people, 80.3% would recommend their mattress to a friend, 14.8% would not, and 4.8% chose not to respond. Let's dig a little deeper into the data:
Positive Beautyrest Mattress Reviews: Comfortable, Supportive, Holds Shape
Overall, 80.3% of buyers were pleased with their purchase. Happy owners describe their mattress as being comfortable and supportive while maintaining it's shape. Couples were especially pleased as they were able to sleep undisturbed even when the other tossed and turned at night.
Top benefits listed by the 552 pleased customers were:
- Comfortable: 92% of respondents
- Good Support: 89% of respondents
- Holds Shape: 63% of respondents
- Sturdy: 34% of respondents
Going into more detail, here are a few actual customer reviews:
"We've had this mattress for a little over a month, and we love it. It's a little firmer than we thought, but certainly not enough to be uncomfortable. It has excellent support, and really reduces the amount of motion we feel from each other. I would definitely recommend this mattress."
- Tim from Massachusetts, Beautyrest World Class owner
"My husband and I are side sleepers w/ handicaps. This bed offered us the side rail support for rising and sitting. We slept thru the night for the first time in a very long time. I woke with no neck, back or hip pain. It is FIRM but contours quickly. I would recommend this mattress set if you are looking for a firm memory foam feel but with a traditional mattress construction."
- Virgina from Texas, Beautyrest NXG owner
"I have a bad back and need support but I roll constantly from side to back to side. This mattress provides good back support but is also comfortable for side sleeping. My fiance also likes the fact that it has reduced motion because I get up at 3 am for work and now she doesn't get disturbed."
- JJ from Kentucky, Beautyrest Recharge owner
Negative Beautyrest Mattress Reviews: Develops Cavity, Too Soft, Too Hard
Out of the 687 respondents, 102 buyers or 14.8% of Beautyrest owners had complaints with their mattress. A few unhappy customers described their mattress as having an odd odor. Others complained of body impressions and indentations, or the mattress being "too soft" or "too hard".
Top complaints listed by the 102 dissatisfied customers were:
- Develops Cavity: 53% of respondents
- Too Hard: 43% of respondents
- Too Soft: 22% of respondents
- Bad Odor: 6% of respondents
Going into more detail, here are a few actual customer reviews:
"After a few months, the mattress developed indentations where we sleep. Apparently the manufacturer requires that the indentations be 1 1/2 inches deep. While our mattress indentations are not that deep, it is very uncomfortable. It feels like sleeping in a hole. Unfortunately, we are stuck with it."
- Sleepy from Washington, Beautyrest World Class owner
"This mattress sleeps well, and the edges are firm, but it began to sag in the middle almost immediately. I would not purchase this mattress again."
- Tom from Georgia, Beautyrest Research owner
"We were so excited when we bought this mattress a month ago. When it got into our house and they set it up I immediately smelled a horrible chemical smell. We could not be in the same room or sleep on it for a week. It still smells like an old tire and we've decided to send it back. The box springs also squeaks like a 10 year old mattress setup - very loud. It is however comfortable for belly sleepers but the wife is a side sleepers and does not like it."
- Kevin from Pennsylvania, Beautyrest NxG owner
About These Complaints, Our Additional Perspective
The good news is that these customer complaints are typically resolved. How is that?
- Develops Cavity: mattresses from all manufacturers will conform to your body, your hips, shoulders, etc., and in most cases enhance your sleep and satisfaction. Like a new pair of shoes, for example, they initially feel firm on your feet, but then break in and conform to your feet as you wear them. Now if the mattress indentation becomes larger than normal, it can signal a manufacturing defect and this is when the manufacturer would replace your mattress with a new one.
- Too Hard: Those who purchased a mattress that they felt was too "soft" or too "hard" simply did that - purchased the wrong mattress for their desired comfort level. We try our hardest to avoid this. Because of our 10 point Mattress Comfort Scale® and other helpful mattress selection tools, our return rate is 4 times lower than most stores. We do know, however, that even after making a careful selection, sometimes people need a different level of comfort. This is where our Comfort Guarantee comes into play. If our customer wishes to exchange his or her mattress, we'll make the exchange for up to 100 days after delivery. Bottom line, if you purchase from us and you're unhappy with the comfort level - whether it's "too hard" or "too soft", we'll replace it (Find out more about our guarantees and policies here.)
- Too Soft: Same as above
- Bad Odor: Most of our mattresses come straight off the assembly line directly into their sealed bag, allowing for little to no aeration. A new mattress will quickly air out and any odor will disappear. If an odor lingers for days or weeks, then it may be defective and qualify for a warranty exchange. The mattress odor issue is also common in any mattress brand as these odors are derived from the mattress manufacturing process.
Simmons Beautyrest History
Simmons Bedding Company Beginnings
Simmons is one of the top brands in the mattress industry, next to Sealy, Serta, Select Comfort, and Tempurpedic. Founded in 1870 in Kenosha, Wisconsin, Simmons got its start manufacturing wooden insulators and cheese boxes. In 1876, Zalmon G. Simmons changed the company's scope with mass produced woven wire mattresses. In 1889, Simmons introduced spiral coil springs. With spiral coil springs and Simmons' cutting edge manufacturing process, the price of a woven wire mattress fell from $12 to 95 cents, which allowed all income brackets to sleep comfortably through the night. Over the past 140+ years, Simmons has continued to be a market leader in the mattress industry through continued innovations and new mattress technologies, including their invention of the patented wrapped coil springs in 1900 and the machine that massed produced them in 1925. All Simmons mattresses are designed and manufactured in the United States.
Beautyrest & the Patented Pocketed Coil®
While wrapped coil springs were first introduced in 1900, the time and labor to produce a mattress with such was so high that mattresses with this technology could only be found among the upper class. It wasn't until 1925 when Simmons engineer John Franklin Gail designed a machine that allowed Simmons to mass produce unique and independent Pocketed Coil® Springs. This machine marked the beginning of the Simmons Beautyrest Mattress Collection and an 85+ year journey that continues to evolve as Simmons introduces new and improved Beautyrest mattress technologies each year.
But what makes the Pocketed Coil®'s so special? The wrapped design of Beautyrest Pocketed Coil® Springs adjust to the weight and contour of your body. Because the coils aren't tied to each other, there is no chain reaction of movement when you turn or move during the night. Light sleepers - or those who sleep next to one - work well with a Beautyrest mattress, as the individually Super Pocketed Coil®
system featured in this line provides excellent back support and transfers very little motion between sleeping partners.
Simmons Beautyrest Collections
Simmons Beautyrest mattresses are available in a variety of models and price points. The 5 Simmons Beautyrest collections are: Beautyrest Recharge, Beautyrest Elite, Recharge World Class, Beautyrest TruEnergy, and Beautyrest Black. You may have heard of the Beautyrest Anniversary or the Beautyrest Exceptionale collections. These collections have since been discontinued. Compare the Anniversary to the current Elite collection and the Exceptionale to World Class. All Beautyrest mattresses feature the following:
- Beautyrest Pocketed Coil Technology®
- Edge support to provide sleeping comfort all the way to the edge of the bed
- Energy Foam® for greater stability
- Transflexion® Comfort Technology to ensure comfort throughout the life of the mattress
- No-flip design (no need to rotate or flip the mattress)
But where do the differences lie between the 5 Beautyrest collections? Generally, the differences exist in the coil count and type of comfort materials used in the mattress. However, let's examine each collection individually:
Beautyrest Recharge: Affordable Performance
Beautyrest Recharge is the entry level Beautyrest series, and it features affordable mattresses with Beautyrest's innovative Recharge technology. The Air Cool Design in the Recharge mattress features AirCool Foams and a ventilated edge that enable air to flow through the mattress, allowing for cool, consistent comfort. Recharge mattresses offer support through Beautyrest's proven Pocketed Coil System, which features hundreds of individually wrapped coils that work independently to contour to your body while providing ideal support to your back.
Recharge World Class: High End Performance
The Recharge World Class collection builds upon the Recharge system to provide enhanced levels of comfort and support. One thousand individually pocketed coils provide ideal conforming support, and select models include one thousand additional Micro Pocketed Coils to help you maintain the ideal sleeping posture. AirCool Memory Foam combines with gel touch to provide exceptional pressure relief and enhanced support while allowing air to flow through the mattress to keep you temperature neutral throughout the night.
Beautyrest TruEnergy: Experience the Recharge Sleep System
Beautyrest TruEnergy mattresses are designed with three key components that make up the Recharge Sleep System. First, the AirCool Foam conforms to your body, providing pressure point relief and freedom of movement. Next, the Independent Support Technology conforms to your lower back and works in conjunction with the Smart Response Coil system to deliver the support you need to sleep well throughout the night. Finally, the AirCool design promotes better airflow through the mattress to regulate temperature and help you sleep cooler. Individually, the components that make up the TruEnergy show cutting edge performance and impressive technology. Together, they demonstrate the new standard for support, comfort, and longevity.
Beautyrest Black: Exquisite Luxury
Beautyrest Black mattresses are top of the line in the Beautyrest collection. These mattresses are comprised of luxurious materials like silk, cashmere, and alpaca, and feature Beautyrest Advanced Pocketed Coil™ Springs that provide strength, motion separation, and conformability. Beautyrest Black mattresses come with a 20 year warranty.